How to Distribute a Custom
If you create your own customized theme in Windows XP, you might
want to share it with others or put it on another computer that
you use so you'll have a consistent desktop appearance. The
theme contains information about your wallpaper, screen saver,
icons, fonts, colors, mouse pointers and sounds. To create a
- Click Start | Control Panel | Appearance and Themes.
- Click Display.
- Click the Themes tab and select an existing theme to
- Through the Display Properties dialog box, make the
changes you want. Then click the Themes tab and click the
- Click Save As and type a name for the new theme.
- Click Save, then click OK.
Your theme is saved by default in the My Documents folder
with the .theme extension. You can send this file to others via
email or put it in a network share. To install it on another
computer, once it's on that computer's hard disk:
- Right click the desktop and click Properties, then the
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder where
the theme file is located.
- Double click the theme file and click OK to load the new